2015年5月29日星期五

External Antenna for Netcom Huawei B593 4G Router

I ordered a package with Huawei B593 4G LTE router and expected to have decent internet connection quality. However although on their map my area is marked as covered, the location of our house behind a rock and some other houses makes cellular signal quite weak and the router didn't work on 4G indoors at all. I tried to solve this issue by ordering a Poynting 4G flat panel outdoor antenna that cost me about a thousand NOK but it didn't help. Even worse, with this
antenna attached I got less speed than without it. I was quite embarrassed and solved this issue by putting the router in a waterproof box that is placed above the roof on a pole. This worked huawei wireless router for quite a while until I got tired by Wifi connection issues due to distant location of the router from all other devices indoors.


Then I started to experiment and the result was quite unstable. Sometimes I got speeds up to 15 Mbps download and once even 22 Mbps but sometimes the speed dropped to 1.5 Mbps and almost nothing on upload. My parabolic antenna was not
fixed that well and at the night it felt because of the wind. Next day I bought a good pole and installed the antenna. To my surprise I got quite low speeds again! So I started to look may be I bought wrong antennas at the end and I need something like for 800-900 MHz instead of 2.4 GHz.

The description (in Swedish) says that B593 router has a software mechanism to detect presence of the external antenna and only when it is detected, it switches to use it. Under circumstances it huawei 3g hotspot wifi router doesn't detect it and it keeps using internal antennas! Voila, this is exactly the case - despite I connected two external antennas my internet speed was more sensitive to the router position itself and no relation to antenna position whatsoever.

Now I just needed to remember that Netcom is a Norwegian trademark of Telia to decide to give it a try. I downloaded the file, made a settings backup and upgraded my router. Restore of the settings was not required, everything was the same as before except the small new option under System menu item in settings called "Antenna settings".

没有评论:

发表评论